Sunday, January 24, 2010

Vatican City

The Vatican City has been high on my list of places to see here in Italy. I don't consider myself a particularly religious person, but there was something about walking through St. Peter's Square and entering the Basilica that left me feeling impressed and more than a little bit humbled. The size of the Basilica itself was overwhelming - with the largest interior of any Christian church in the world, it can hold 60,000 people. I've never seen so much marble! It seemed to stretch on endlessly in every direction, from floors to walls to the ceiling - I dont think there was a surface of the structure itself not crafted of solid marble. It was very dim inside, and very quiet. There was a service being held at the time we visited,  which we could hear but were not allowed to see. This area was blocked off from the general public - we saw people coming and going steadily, but I assumed they were members of the church, and not tourists. There was a lot to see and a lot to take in...though we were there a couple of hours, I left feeling like I hadn't truly absorbed everything. The amount of ornate detail that went into every square inch of the Basilica was stunning. Photos were allowed inside - unfortunately, because it was very dim, not many came out clearly, but I will share some of those that did:


A view of the front of St. Peter's Basilica from the square



One of the  Pontifical Swiss Guard located around the outside of the building. They stand guard with a "Halberd," which is basically a long wooden pole with a spike on the end. I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of one of these guys...


On our way into the Basilica.



Marble pillars outside the front of the building



This is the view you see upon entering. The service was being held at the other side of this massive room - beyond the altar you can see in this photo.


Golden grills on the floor...I saw several of these inside.



Marble, marble and more marble.



These were located in various places throughout the Basilica...we thought maybe they were confessionals? Except they had no doors. Hmm...



A closer view of the famous St. Peter's Baldachin, build by Bernini in 1633. It was meant to monumentally mark St. Peter's tomb.








An etching in the wall of the names of each Pope from the year 64 A.D. until 2005.



A view of St. Peter's Square at night. It's Christmas tree was still lit.



A view of Rome as we crossed the bridge on our way out of the Vatican City.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Amy. Very nice shots of St Peter's One of the places Kay and I want to visit next month is the Vatican Museum. Maybe you'd like to see it too. Keep exploring.

    Love,

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure we'd love to join you. Roland and I have already visited it, but I'm sure Sarah would love to see it and I wouldn't mind taking another look.

    ReplyDelete