Tuesday, January 12, 2010

La Bella Lingua...

Though I've come pretty far in learning the Italian language since I began lessons a few short weeks ago, I still have miles to go and it is really a struggle here trying to bridge the language gap. The historic center of Rome is full of English speakers, and it's simple to communicate with almost anyone. However, stray a bit farther from the tourist-heavy areas, and the number of locals who can speak English decreases exponentially. Most conversations in shops and restaurants have included some form of homemade sign language, pointing, waving, wild gesticulations, and yes, even drawing pictures and diagrams. I eagerly anticipate the day when we'll be able to leave our trusty mini dictionary at home, and remove "Parli Inglese?" (do you speak English?) from the beginning of each conversation with a local!  I know it will come with hard work and time, but sometimes I feel just like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment