Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lost in Translation

In the center of Rome, where tourism is at its highest, signs and information will often be posted in both Italian and in English. Sometimes, the translation from Italian to English will be perfect...other times, not so much. We've gotten a big laugh out of some of these translations...here are a couple. I will post more as I come across them...


Sign posted inside a stall in the ladies' room in a restaurant.

This one is from a menu. It is from our visit to Rome last year but still one of my favorites!


"Service it not inclused."

Note on this post: I'm not posting these photos in a mean-spirited, "making fun" manner...As someone who is far from fluent in Italian, I really do appreciate being able to understand things I would not otherwise!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! Fun! I also like the point you make about not pointing these weird translations in a mean-spirited way. (As someone struggling with a foreign language, I, too, shouldn't be throwing any stones.) Sometimes I feel as if traveling the world, correctly oddly wrong English-language signs and menus would be a nice, charitable gesture. -Kay

    ReplyDelete