Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Irish Adventures, Rock of Cashel

On my way from Kinsale to Kilkenny, I stopped to visit the Rock of Cashel. I had read in a few places that this historic site was a must-see, and happily it was located conveniently along my route.

I arrived in the small town of Cashel early on a sunny Saturday morning, and as I drove in I could see its historic landmark towering over the city. The "Rock" itself is actually an outcropping of limestone reaching nearly 200 feet into the sky. The site is steeped in history and mythology, and understandably so - it is 16 centuries old! It was the castled seat of the Kings of Munster as far back as 360 A.D., and remained a royal fortress until 1101, when it was granted to the church. Remaining on the site today are the ruins of a towering chapel, a cruciform cathedral, a cluster of medieval monuments and a 92 foot tall round tower - which is the Rock's oldest remaining structure.

There is just something about standing among ruins steeped so richly in history that simply takes your breath away. I arrived at the Rock of Cashel just as it was opening to the public, and as such, I had the place to myself. I can certainly understand why it is one of the most visited sites in the country of Ireland. As I wandered among the ruins in the cold morning sunshine, I was able to take my time taking everything in. From St. Patrick's Cross, to the stunning landscapes stretching out as far as the eye could see, to the Irish High Crosses dotting the grounds, I was a bit in awe of all of my surroundings. The cathedral and tower, even in ruins, were majestic and impressive - I can only imagine what it all looked like once upon a time. I had a great time exploring and snapping photos until the grounds began to fill up with tourists and it was time to go. I'm grateful for the peaceful, quiet time I got to spend alone at this landmark. This visit has added another item to my reading list - I look forward to finding a book describing the history of the Rock of Cashel.

A view from the top of the Rock of Cashel



Rock of Cashel 



Crosses on the grounds 



View looking up the round tower 



A note on the birds. While I was on the site, there were thousands of these birds flying around. They were completely silent, and swooped back and forth across the site in great masses. It was pretty breathtaking, especially considering my surroundings. 



 View looking down on a field of sheep



Sharing my view with the birds 












A view out the door of the ruins of the Cathedral, looking onto the grounds.



Cross of St. Patrick. This cross outside on the grounds is a copy - the actual cross is kept nearby indoors, in a climate controlled environment. 




No comments:

Post a Comment