Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day Trip from Galway, The Cliffs of Moher and the Burren

On my last day in Galway, I decided to "Go Full Tourist" and join a highly recommended bus trip out of Galway to visit the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. I've never been much of one for sightseeing in big groups, but after several days of solo travels, I was up for some conversation, and also for taking in the views from the road while someone else did the driving. The trip was run by the Galway Tour Company, and they lived up to their good reputation. I had a great time winding through the narrow country roads of Ireland with 45 of my new buddies, taking in some truly stunning scenery.

We made several stops throughout the day, including one morning stop at a pub for an Irish coffee, and a later stop in a great little pub in Doolin for lunch. The amazing rocky landscape of the Burren was really interesting, and stretched on as far as the eye could see. I'd never heard of it, or seen anything like it before  in my life. The highlight of the day, of course, was the 2 hour stop at the Cliffs of Moher. It's hard to describe the experience of seeing these cliffs, and I don't think the pictures do it justice. It's an incredibly peaceful place, and very green and lush. I could have stood (behind the nice, safe concrete barrier wall) for hours, watching the sea smash up against the base of the cliffs  below. Apparently, these barrier walls were not  always there...in the past, visitors could walk right up to the cliffs' edge, lay down on their belly, and look over the edge. Whoever these people are - they must be nuts. My stomach dropped just thinking about being up there without the walls! But I digress. This was an amazing visit, and I recommend a stop at the Cliffs to any future visitor to Ireland.


Our first stop, at Dunguaire Castle


Poulnabrone Dolmen


Poulnabrone Dolmen 


The rocky landscape of the Burren 


Pub lunch in Doolin 





Cliffs of Moher 

 O'Brien's Tower at the Cliffs of Moher






No comments:

Post a Comment