Sunday, January 15, 2012

View From the Top

In search of new areas of Rome to explore, last weekend I discovered Rome's Gianicolo. The Gianicolo is a hill overlooking the city of Rome that boasts it's most beautiful and peaceful views. Although Rome is known as the proverbial City of Seven Hills, the Gianicolo is situated west of the Tiber River and thus outside of the city limits, so it is not counted as one of the city's famous hills. It is, however, known to have the most beautiful panoramic views of the city. And, in contrast to the rest of the bustling city, it is blissfully quiet.

The Gianicolo is located North of the Vatican, and I arrived there by means of a small, electric bus that was perfectly sized for navigating the narrow, winding road to the top of the hill. The views, as expected, were absolutely breathtaking. Looking out from my perch on the stone wall surrounding the hill, I could spot many of the city's major landmarks and buildings as the city stretched on into the horizon. Though a few people milled around, taking photographs and drinking in the scenery, I enjoyed the view in peace and quiet. The Gianicolo will definitely be added to our "Must-do" list for visitors from here on out, as I must agree it is now one of my favorite places to go to marvel at this beautiful city.



No comments:

Post a Comment