Friday, August 12, 2011

Saluti di Roma!

Hello from Rome once again! The end of July marked my long-overdue return to my Roman home. It was a strange feeling, arriving back in Italy after so many months away. On one hand, many things were exactly as I'd left them in cold and rainy December: my housekeys in the bowl next to the front door, clutter on my bedside table, a slightly dustier vesion of my toothbrush in the bathroom, a closet full of clothes I'd very much missed for 2/3 of a year - even the windshield-washing man stationed next to the traffic light in our neighborhood still occupied the same spot, faithfully waving his same filthy squeegee at the line of cars waiting to turn, in hopes of collecting our spare change. On the other hand, however, it felt obvious that I'd been gone a very long time...the expected three weeks having spiralled into nearly eight months of "limbo" between my two homes. My Italian feels rusty at best, and I'm working at reacquainting myself with all the is different (love it or hate it) about good old Italy. But, the bottom line is, it feels great to be back. Walking out of Fiumicino airport on the afternoon of my arrival, I felt the Italian sunshine on my face, I knew all had been worth the wait.  After all of the time and hoop-jumping, and all of the questions, I feel like I've arrived at home. And I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment