Friday, July 30, 2010

Mosquitos, Beware!

I have a new arch-nemesis: Roman Mosquitoes. Oh my, they are everywhere! Our flat, being mostly non-air conditioned, requires lots of ventilation in the summer to let in fresh air. However, we are also without screens on our windows and doors, leaving us open to whatever wants to fly in. Mosquitoes, being the little opportunists that they are, take this fully to their advantage - they are always around. Shortly after my arrival, Roland bought a new toy. May I introduce...The Mosquito Tennis Racquet!


Mosquitoes beware...this thing is no joke! It works by pressing a small button on the side of the handle, which sends an electric charge to the center of the racquet meant to take out anything in its path. I have an idea of its strength due to an episode in which the center of the racquet came in contact with the tip of Roland's finger...causing him to jump so high he fell out of his chair. But that is another story.

We tried this racquet out on the first unfortunate victim to cross our path, and he literally exploded with a loud "Zap!" and a big spark of light. I must admit I felt slightly guilty when we first started using this thing...surely this must count as cruel and unusual punishment? ...But after waking up a few days later with a row of huge, ridiculously itchy bites from my knee down to my ankle, my guilt quickly washed away. Look out you little flying vampires...this means war.

2 comments:

  1. That would be a handy item to have here in the states during the summer as well. Glad you arrived safe and sound and are enjoying your life in Rome. Love reading your blogs too....so many fun stories and facts. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb! It is my new best friend. Want me to ship you one??;)

    ReplyDelete